I'm putting together some simple, cheap recipes that are 100% vegan. Here's the first: One pot red curry pasta based on a recipe found here.
We normally shop at Costco, Trader Joe's, Sprouts, Winco, a local asian grocer, and sometimes Cardenas (not all in one week! Just wherever the best sales are, or wherever we're running errands near). Everything in this recipe was found at Winco, but I know that everywhere from Walmart to Whole Foods carries the ingredients. I wanted to make something that is healthy, easy, and can be made by anyone!
- 1 pound pasta ($0.75 in the bulk section)
- 2 zucchini ($1.12)
- 2 cups chopped tomato (I used cherry tomatoes since they were sale for $0.99)
- bell pepper (I used mini peppers since they were on sale $2/bag. I used about half)
- 1 cup frozen peas (about 1/4 a bag that was $1 ... so $0.25 worth)
- juice of 1 lemon ($0.34)
- 1 can coconut milk ($1.50)
- 2 cloves of garlic ($0.10)
- 2 tbsp red curry paste (1/4 a jar that was $2.50... so about $0.63)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (1/8 of a tube that was $2... so about $0.25)
- 4 cups water
Before starting chop all of the vegetables into bite size pieces, and mince the garlic. In a large pot sauté the zucchini and bell pepper in a little water (you can also use oil if you'd prefer) for about two minutes. Add the garlic, stir, and cook for another minute. Add all of the remaining ingredients EXCEPT for the peas and tomatoes, stir well, and cook for approximately 12 minutes. After 12 minutes, add the peas and tomatoes, and cook for 2 more minutes.
This recipe totals around $7 and is 4-6 servings. Very filling, creamy, and delicious!